Here we’ll quickly cover the two big problems many CrashPlan users are facing today and why they need a CrashPlan Alternative:
33 reasons why WholesaleBackup is your best Crashplan / Code42 Alternative Backup Solution
As you may have heard there have been some big changes with Code42 aka CrashPlan as they shift focus and implementation strategy. This is creating some confusion, frustration, and rethinking of many users and backup service providers (MSPs) next backup platform.
If your already aware of the situation
1.) The ‘sunsetting’ of CrashPlan Code42 Home Edition
Many were disappointed to learn that CrashPlan was discontinuing services for the CrashPlan Home edition backup service. [crashplan] as a direct result many backup providers, MSPs, and resellers were forced to find a CrashPlan Alternative.
No renewals, No support, No new registrations allowed.
They offer 3 options for what your next steps might be.
- Migrate to Carbonite
- or 60 days while you transition elsewhere
What’s interesting about this scenario (believe it or not) is that many backup service providers and MSPs actually used CrashPlan Home in favor of CrashPlan Pro or Enterprise.
Here are a few things that come up.
- Lack of support for the product, e.g.) Windows Servers
- Limited support for various backup scenarios
- The software used excessive amounts of resources primarily RAM
- Updates often caused the software to stop working
- The software broke after anything changed e.g.) system upgrades, Java updates & CrashPlan version updates – then having to spend hours trying to sort it out
- The inability to backup from a mapped drive
Crashplan ending support for Windows Servers from r/sysadmin
2.) CrashPlan ending support of all Windows Servers (including Enterprise)
The other huge issue that has many users and manage service providers scrambling to find a new server backup solution; is the Windows Server end of life support for the CrashPlan Enterprise app on Windows Servers. [code42]
Here’s the quote from the official support page:
Code42 applications are designed to back up and secure end-user devices, such as laptops and desktops. They are not intended to back up or secure data on servers. Thus Code42 is ending support for Code42 apps on Windows operating systems that are intended to run on servers. Running the Code42 app on unsupported operating systems may produce undesirable results.
This statement and reasoning were slightly contradicting and bewildering when taking a step back and looking at the big picture…
- Because customers utilizing an Enterprise-grade backup solution should expect secure data backups at a minimum; whether it’s on a workstation, laptop, or server.
- The motive behind the CrashPlan changes is to it shift its focus primarily on Business and Commercial grade backup services.
- While at the same time they are killing support for Servers at the Enterprise level because the solution is not secure enough.
- Additionally, they are ending consumer-grade backups which were focused on personal computers.
- So that they can narrow in on small business backup services which consist primarily of workstations, laptops, and probably a server or two.
…luckily you can read this thread where one person was able to get some clarification directly from a CrashPlan rep.
Many people are looking for a reliable Server Backup Alternative as a result of this change
The problem is real
– Twitter is full of CrashPlan users that are literally reaching out for help!
Did anyone find a proper replacement for #crashplan yet? I don’t quite like that all offered alternatives are for one computer only as opposed to several.
— jlengrand (@jlengrand) January 4, 2018
– including users who are having a hard time after moving to the new suggested CrashPlan upgrade
Bloody hell. First #Code42 cancelled #Crashplan for Home and now they changed the interface of #Crashplan for small business and not in a good wT. Most things are unclear, removing backup destinations doesn’t work, each restore you have to type your encryption key. This sucks!!!
— TwitLuvDude (@TwitLuvDude) December 29, 2017
33 Reasons why WholesaleBackup is a perfect alternative to CrashPlan for your cloud and server backup solutions
- Offering a simple month-to-month licensing model
- You can use the Cloud Backup platform or the Offsite Server Backup platform
- All options are fully white-label re-brandable offsite backup solutions (no co-branding)
- Install the backup client on any Windows operating system including all Windows Servers versions
- Host your own offsite backups using the WholesaleBackup Online Server Backup platform on your own Windows Servers on platforms like Microsoft Azure
- Host the data on GCP or AWS S3 for ~2 cents per GB, no up charges. You save big! (& now Wasabi for even less)
- Ability to backup Microsoft SQL (included no extra cost)
- Ability to backup Microsoft Exchange (included no extra cost)
- Ability to backup Microsoft Outlook (included no extra cost)
- Ability to backup files and computers over networks connections
- Ability to backup mapped drives and folders
- Ability to backup accounting, POS, medical, dental, legal software applications, and data.
- Fully HIPAA compliant
- Fully PCI compliant
- Financial Services compliant
- Using AES-256 bit encryption
- Generate recoverable disk images for bare metal restores and offsite them using scheduled backups
- Intelligent data deduplication
- Incremental backups using delta-block differential (only sends the changes)
- Ability to throttle the bandwidth the client uses during business hours
- Unlimited stellar USA based support
- Perpetual included upgrades
- Includes Backup Management Web Console (centralized monitoring and management tool)
- Included speedy local backup vault
- Self-tuning intelligent compression engine (up to 75% file size reduction)
- Access to reseller support team and resources
- Backup alerts
- Backup email reports
- Ability to create an unlimited amount of user account for the web console
- Ability to create unlimited brands
- backup software has native protection against ransomware
- custom file retention policies
- custom file version retention policies
Truthfully – there are actually a lot more reasons…
…but this list was getting long already, please check out the pricing page for the full list…
Label & Launch Your Backup Software in 5 Mins
Start your all-inclusive, no-risk, free trial today